190 going back to 150...

LiftTillIDie said:
If I had to pick any single food to call the backbone of my diet it would be milk.
sorry bro i have to go w/ eggs, whole eggs, large type.
rarely drink milk anymore, except on carb up days or cheat days.

bleachcola said:
And all this time I thought there was protein and fat in there . . .
yea, there are small amounts of protein (and fat, depending on which milk were talking about) in milk, but carbs and sugar still outweigh the protein.

do you also eat peanut butter by the jar because it has a little protein in there, completely disregarding the fat content?

Suareezay said:
yea, there are small amounts of protein (and fat, depending on which milk were talking about) in milk, but carbs and sugar still outweigh the protein.

do you also eat peanut butter by the jar because it has a little protein in there, completely disregarding the fat content?

Not by the jar, but every once in awhile in decent amounts. 8g per 2 tablespoons is a damn decent source of protein. The fat is mostly good fat as well. But I prefer to get most of my protein from animals. And as far as milk is concerned, "far outweigh" is a little extreme. 12.3g of carbs and 8.7g of protein per cup isn't exactly "far." Take into account the fact that it is slowly digested and you get the benefits of a low GI carb. For the vast majority of people lifting weights, milk and peanut butter are great. Might want to reconsider if you are in a strict diet cutting up for a contest. But for the rest of us, the increase in metabolism from lifting is enough to make the carbs/fat negligible. If you are seriously worried about those levels then you are taking the whole bodybuilding lifestyle to an extreme that affects the quality of your life. That's when it becomes pathetic. But everyone is different I guess. If you love to eat nothing but chicken breasts and water all day then go for it. I on the other hand prefer a varied diet that includes just about everything in respective amounts.

bleachcola said:
Not by the jar, but every once in awhile in decent amounts. 8g per 2 tablespoons is a damn decent source of protein. The fat is mostly good fat as well. But I prefer to get most of my protein from animals. And as far as milk is concerned, "far outweigh" is a little extreme. 12.3g of carbs and 8.7g of protein per cup isn't exactly "far." Take into account the fact that it is slowly digested and you get the benefits of a low GI carb. For the vast majority of people lifting weights, milk and peanut butter are great. Might want to reconsider if you are in a strict diet cutting up for a contest. But for the rest of us, the increase in metabolism from lifting is enough to make the carbs/fat negligible. If you are seriously worried about those levels then you are taking the whole bodybuilding lifestyle to an extreme that affects the quality of your life. That's when it becomes pathetic. But everyone is different I guess. If you love to eat nothing but chicken breasts and water all day then go for it. I on the other hand prefer a varied diet that includes just about everything in respective amounts.

yea i know, natty peanut butter is great stuff, i was just using it as an exaggerated example.

i just think there are better sources of protein (and carbs for that matter) than milk.

Suareezay said:
yea i know, natty peanut butter is great stuff, i was just using it as an exaggerated example.

i just think there are better sources of protein (and carbs for that matter) than milk.

There probably is but you just can't beat the versatility and convenience of a jug of the white stuff. A steak could give you more/better protein and a loaf of whole wheat bread better carbs, but it's a pain to grill a steak and down some bread all the time when you can chug a couple glasses of milk in seconds and be done with it. I wouldn't base a diet on the stuff but it is the single most effective addition to any diet in my opinion. A gallon of milk a day can do wonders for getting the protein/cals up in a diet. The amino acid profile ain't to shabby either.

lactose intollerant over here, I remember last winter i had some serious digestive issues and droped all dairy and adding in digetstive enzymes and it went away...And kept me regular 1-2 times daily.

It took a few months after i cut out dairy for my stomach to really feel alot better.

bleachcola said:
There probably is but you just can't beat the versatility and convenience of a jug of the white stuff. A steak could give you more/better protein and a loaf of whole wheat bread better carbs, but it's a pain to grill a steak and down some bread all the time when you can chug a couple glasses of milk in seconds and be done with it. I wouldn't base a diet on the stuff but it is the single most effective addition to any diet in my opinion. A gallon of milk a day can do wonders for getting the protein/cals up in a diet. The amino acid profile ain't to shabby either.

Yep

pullinbig said:
soy milk is what i drink. reg milk gives me allergies so i had to switch over about a year ago.

I remember hearing something about soy stuff converting to estrogen, or killing test or something like that. Any truth there?

LiftTillIDie said:
I remember hearing something about soy stuff converting to estrogen, or killing test or something like that. Any truth there?

There are compounds in there that can exhibit some estrogenic properties but the effects are overexaggerated.

bleachcola said:
There are compounds in there that can exhibit some estrogenic properties but the effects are overexaggerated.

Good to know, as I hear soy protein is very heart healthy.

Back