70's Bodybuilding - What were they using?

outlawtas2 said:
True story from who??? There are plenty of guy out there that look as "good" as all those guys - but not with the same genetics which give them the perfect look (symmetry, proportion, etc etc).

BTW I have also heard from a "reliable" source that they were running Test/dbol at doses that embarass some of todays dosages of Pro BB'ers.
My cousin competed in the 70's and nobody was doing 4000mg a week cycles like they are now, as a matter of fact nobody was doing over 1000mg of combined drugs. Your sources are wrong and just silly.

i know TONS of people who tear it up in the gym and dont look like a pro BBer dude, you're fucking crazy and dumb if you think the reason why people dotn look like arnold is cause they dont train hard

outlawtas2 said:
I agree, anyone who uses gear and isn't a Pro BBer is a loser. :rolleyes: Oh an you know arnie started using at a very young age, younger than aything we recommend today.
Nice spin O'Riley but that is not what I said. :)

I just think that there are a lot of people who have great physiques out there, physiques that are not attainable naturally, but don't have their life revolve around bodybuilding. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

I agree there are a lot of people that have no clue how to train, eat or use gear (but do anyways) but you said that "most are lazy and pathetic" and that is simply not true.

BTW who's O'Riley?

Ok so lets say that Dbol, test, and deca were the drugs of choice. All of these drugs have a good amount of side effects even at low doses. None of these guys had anything close to gyno, pimples on back, etc..

Thats the real point of the thread. Not so much what they were using, but more about how they were able to stay side effect free.

hal said:
But apart from the relatively high dosage of dbol these guys took, it was really a pretty simple routine. Train hard. Really hard, so that you leave the gym with your muscles not just pumped, but rather leaving the muscles aching with lactic acid buildup and exhaustion. Eating well. High protien. And getting lots of rest and sleep in between training, allowing for recovery and muscles growth.

This sounds pretty accurate.

Not really... have you ever seen arnolds workout? not much rest at all

Back In The 70's Theose Guys Only Used Deca,d-bol,test,winnytabs,drol,all That Other Stuff Wasn't Developed Yet...what If Arnold Used Gh?

THE BOUNCER said:
Ok so lets say that Dbol, test, and deca were the drugs of choice. All of these drugs have a good amount of side effects even at low doses. None of these guys had anything close to gyno, pimples on back, etc..

Thats the real point of the thread. Not so much what they were using, but more about how they were able to stay side effect free.

thats the first thing i noticed in pumping iron. no bloat, relatively no balding, no zits, no gyno.

even on small doses (<500mg a week) im a walking side effect

I heard they were taking Primobolan which they injected weekly in conjunction stacked with dianabol tabets. This is stack was very popular back then and in the Seventies, lots of guys at Gold’s Gym were taking this combination. They were also taking these products for long cycles. The apparant lack of side-effects thay had makes you wonder if there is something about this nice simple combination which makes it better than all the effects people seem to be getting these days from much more complex cycles. Would be interesting to hear from guys today who still use such a stack.

simpllyhuge said:
didnt they used to use gh that was taken from cadavers.

I don't think they started that until a little after Arnold's day. The stuff from cadavers doesn't work for bodybuilding purposes anyway, plus I'm pretty sure some people died from it.

LiftTillIDie said:
I don't think they started that until a little after Arnold's day. The stuff from cadavers doesn't work for bodybuilding purposes anyway, plus I'm pretty sure some people died from it.

Yup it gave people CJD ( mad cow desease ) but that was mid to late 80's....I don't think there size was impossible to achieve as there WERE steroids available but the real myth to me is there lack of side effects...that just confuses the hell out of me!!

Ok what i'm certain of is that the black guy from Italy who got 2nd to Arnold in the Olympia, and i dun wanna mention his name, uses a hell lot of parabolan. it was known more emphatically as "76" then.

They also do a lot of spot injections.

And one thing is that they care more about their nutrition then us. Thing us all of us have the potential to grow big when we eat a hell lot more and eat clean, but most of us, including myself, buy more juice then we eat. When 2 factors are balanced out, we can improve a hell lot more.

I know of a local bodybuilder whose job used to be pro bodybuilding and he was massive, with delts the size of coconuts. He used only test and dbol, 1250mg test EW and 5 dbol a day. He isn't able to repeat that condition today despite using a lot of test because his nutrition is not right and he knows it.When he was in the national squad he had a doctor to advise him and jab him while his food and supplements were crazy. Something like 3 whole chickens a day, 1 pineapple, 20 eggs, and a lot of potatoes. The price of his diet a month was a whopping 3000+ bucks and he ate 8 times a normal person.

Well, some food for thought.

Test, deca, dbol and some primo for comp. That's about it...
I know Mentzer loved doing 150mg durabolin E3D. That's the only specific dose I know of from a primary source.

one factor not being mentioned is that the top guys back then had awesome genetics, which would account for the lack of notable sides, as well as the crazy physiques. I have trained around guys like Arnold, they can grow more on 500mg of test, then I can on 2000mg+, and thats without the greatest nutrition. Some guys also never really get sides, doesnt matter what they take. Personally I get very few, no zits, little bloat, only thing I notice is blood pressure

needsize said:
one factor not being mentioned is that the top guys back then had awesome genetics, which would account for the lack of notable sides, as well as the crazy physiques. I have trained around guys like Arnold, they can grow more on 500mg of test, then I can on 2000mg+, and thats without the greatest nutrition. Some guys also never really get sides, doesnt matter what they take. Personally I get very few, no zits, little bloat, only thing I notice is blood pressure

All good points

Back