new here - see my slin experiment

nolights

I found this site a couple of days ago and have being reading a lot of the threads. I have found some great discussion going on here, so I thought I would share my slin experiment with you.
This was my first time with slin, so I took BGL readings every so often to see what was going on.
I used 10 iu of Humalog post workout and took my post workout shake at the same time(70g dextrose and 35 g whey).
my base line BGL before insulin was 74
Time BGL
12min 126
20min 106
30min 85
40min 126
50min 90
60min 74
70min 63
80min 58
90min 50
100min 41
at this point I ate my dinner(200g chicken, medium potato + broccoli)
120min 61

I would like to hear peoples ideas of what is happening here. I think that the humalog did not have major effect until after 40 minutes, and that in the first 30 minutes it was my natural insulin doing the job. Even though I let my BGL drop pretty low, I felt no sides coming on at all. I will have to experiment some more to fine tune my carb amounts and timing.

Looks interesting. I dont know exctly what this means but i have an idea and am looking foward to seeing what all the vets and mods have to say about this.
Also, maybe you should try the standard dose at 10IU which is 100g dext/malto. and 40-50g whey. See how they compare.

I still find that very odd your BG rose at 40 minutes, looks more like humulin than humalog. Do you have any humulin by chance? I would love to see the difference in your BGL of humalog vs. Humulin all variables the same. No shake timing, just injecting and drinking.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/insulinlispro_cp.htm

It peaks within 30-90 minutes:

Pharmacokinetics

Absorption and Bioavailability

Insulin lispro is as bioavailable as human regular insulin, with absolute bioavailability ranging between 55%-77% with doses between 0.1-0.2 U/kg, inclusive. Studies in normal volunteers and patients with type I (insulin-dependent) diabetes demonstrated that insulin lispro is absorbed faster than human regular insulin (U100). In normal volunteers given subcutaneous doses of insulin lispro ranging from 0.1-0.4 U/kg, peak serum levels were seen 30-90 minutes after dosing.

...After abdominal administration of insulin lispro, serum drug levels are higher and the duration of action is slightly shorter than after deltoid or thigh administration (see DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION.) Insulin lispro has less intra- and inter-patient variability compared to human regular insulin...
When used as a meal-time insulin, insulin lispro should be given within 15 minutes before a meal.
After abdominal administration, insulin lispro concentrations are higher than those following deltoid or thigh injections. Also, the duration of action of insulin lispro is slightly shorter following abdominal injection, compared with deltoid and femoral injections...

Depending on how long after the workout you took BGL readings, your first peak @ 12 min. could be a result of elevated glucose production caused by high intensity exercise (I would expect that it takes longer than 12 min. for BGL to peak after your postworkout meal)...

During high intensity exercise catecholamines go way up which leads to increased blood glucose ...

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/51/suppl_1/S271

...In intense exercise, a signal for rapid hepatic glycogenolysis has been invoked, which anticipates the need for the marked increase in GP. In contrast to the "feedback" signal at lower exercise intensities, this has been suggested to be "feedforward" (24,25). Irrespective of the site of origin of the signal, we and others (26) have proposed that it is the marked catecholamine response during intense exercise that is the prime regulator of GP. In moderate exercise, plasma catecholamine concentrations increase only two- to fourfold (Fig. 1C and D) (27,28). In contrast, in intense exercise there is a marked 14- to 18-fold increase of both EPI and NE (Fig. 1C and D) (e.g., 19,21–23,25,26) to levels seen in pheochromocytoma. This induces a seven- to eightfold increase in GP (Fig. 2C), the largest increases seen under any physiological or pathophysiological condition. In contrast to moderate exercise, the increase in GU, though very large, is less than the increase in GP. This restraint in GU increment (Fig. 2D) is due to the largely catecholamine-mediated stimulation of muscle glycogenolysis. Despite the increase of plasma glucose that this GP-GU difference causes, plasma insulin concentration does not change or may even increase slightly. There are two contributing factors. The first is that the high concentrations of catecholamines (acting through a dominant -adrenergic effect) can prevent glucose stimulation of insulin secretion. The second may be a decrease in insulin disposal (see below). These glucoregulatory responses and their regulation during intense exercise are shown in schematic fashion in Fig. 3. ...

FIG. 3. Schematic representation of the current concept of glucoregulation during intense exercise (>80% VO2max). A "feed-forward" signal originating in the brain is viewed as causing the increased sympathetic outflow that results in 14- to 16-fold increases in circulating EPI and NE (open arrow). The solid arrows and their widths indicate the increases in GP and GU; the difference between their increments accounts for the hyperglycemic response. The wide shaded arrow indicates that at the same time that adrenergic stimulation of the contracting muscle contributes to glycogenolysis (not shown), it restrains the increase in GU from the circulation. Plasma insulin either declines minimally or remains constant during exercise, but increases rapidly and considerably the postexercise period, mediated by the hyperglycemia and release of adrenergic inhibition (not shown).

FIG. 1. Comparison of responses during 40 min of moderate intensity exercise (50% VO2max) (—) and 15 min intense exercise (87% VO2max) (bull;—bull;) in normal young male subjects. A rest period termed baseline was followed by exercise of the two different durations, as shown between the vertical broken lines. The break in the line for intense exercise is to permit plotting the recovery (R) period (R0–R120 min) starting from cessation of exercise. Data are presented as means ± SE. A: Plasma glucose, unchanged in moderate and rising with intense exercise, especially in the recovery period. B: Plasma insulin, with a significant decline in moderate and trend downward in intense exercise, followed by a marked rise in recovery. C: Plasma NE. D: Plasma EPI, both catecholamines increasing about threefold in moderate, but markedly in intense exercise, with rapid return to baseline levels.

Last edited:
http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content-nw/full/278/5/E786/F2

Fig. 2. Plasma glucose concentrations during baseline, intense exercise ("ex", between the 2 vertical dotted lines), and recovery periods. Time 0 indicates beginning of exercise. Data are means ± SE for 10 PA subjects and 8 PP subjects. Premeal and postmeal designations refer only to PP subjects and correspond to baseline interval for PA subjects. Insert: mean data for exercise period on an expanded time scale. Where SE bars are not present, they are smaller than symbol or would overlap with SE from the other group. Significant differences are specified in text.

Thanks for the replies.
I injected in the leg(subq), no rubbing and I have about %16 body fat. I checked the bottle and it is definately Humalog.

I have a hard copy of that chart here, but my brother says that its all bullshit. (He has been type 1 for over 20 years) He finds that humalog takes 40 minutes to hit him. He asked his doctor why after seeing the chart, and the Doc said that when they test insulin for activation times, it varies greatly between people and the chart reflects the average of 100 tested. The doc said some of his patients can feel humalog working before they remove the needle and others take over an hour.
My main use for using insulin now is to get a grip on how my body reacts and the best carb ratio for me, so that I can properly incorporate it in my next bulker.(currently dieting to >%12 BF) I will only use insulin twice a week for now, as I don't won't to interupt my current fat loss.

hhajdo - great info, I'm going to reread that a few times before I fully understand everything there.

Next time I will try to time my carb intake to match the log spike. I will let you guys know how it goes

thanks.

Welcome and good work. I would like to see that process again without the insulin to see how your baseline looks. It hard to grasp whats going on without it.

After my glycogen is fairly dpeleted after a workout, sub-Q humalog takes about 15-25 minutes to make me hypo, when not consuming any shake.

Thanks for all the input. Yesterday I ran a baseline after taking 70g dextrose and 35g whey. The results are pretty uninteresting, but it looks like the dextrose is hitting me within the first 10 minutes and it takes my body 30 - 40 more minutes to return BGL to starting point.

Start BLG 112
Time BGL
10min 122
20min 92
30min 117
40min 112
50min 112

After my next workout I will take the carbs 20 - 30 minutes after the insulin. Hopefully this timing will work without my BGL droping to low.

Back