Something a little different...

Nice work RJ - what position do you use with the front squats? Arms crossed resting ther bb on your shoulders or hands at your shoulders like a push press? i can't seem to get the BB comfortable in my grip to get any heavy weight....

Nice avatar too - i see you are doing Baby bicep curls - those are great for developing the peak.....Your little man?

Nice work RJ - what position do you use with the front squats? Arms crossed resting ther bb on your shoulders or hands at your shoulders like a push press? i can't seem to get the BB comfortable in my grip to get any heavy weight....

Nice avatar too - i see you are doing Baby bicep curls - those are great for developing the peak.....Your little man?

i cross my arms and lay the bar across my chest and it seats nicely in the crook of my delts. The other way seems like it would kill my wrists. lol

And yeah, that's my son. Luckily he looks like his momma, but he's gotta daddy's thickness!! :D

ok, no more booze for me for a while. jesus. i only had a beer and a drink and I felt like shit this morning. I think the taxing on my CNS is having adverse effects on other daily activities. Sucks getting old. lol

Anyway, we dragged our asses in the gym anyway and had an OK workout.

12/24

Deads - 425x5x1
Weighted Pull Ups - 10/7/6 - these sucked. i put a lil more weight n the bag, but i still wasn't feeling it.

MetCon

"Fran"

21-15-9

Thrusters 95#
Pull Ups

Time - 4:45

Merry Xmas fuckers. :D

ok, no more booze for me for a while. jesus. i only had a beer and a drink and I felt like shit this morning. I think the taxing on my CNS is having adverse effects on other daily activities. Sucks getting old. lol

Anyway, we dragged our asses in the gym anyway and had an OK workout.

12/24

Deads - 425x5x1
Weighted Pull Ups - 10/7/6 - these sucked. i put a lil more weight n the bag, but i still wasn't feeling it.

MetCon

"Fran"

21-15-9

Thrusters 95#
Pull Ups

Time - 4:45

Merry Xmas fuckers. :D

You're too fukkin old to drink dude! Leave that to the 20+ with the virgin livers...hahahahaha - i gave it up about 3 years ago cause i got all these headaches and said "SHIT! Now that i can afford the good liquor....I can't drink no mo!" hahahahaha

Fukkin beastly workout bro - can't wait to see what tricks you turn next year!

You're too fukkin old to drink dude! Leave that to the 20+ with the virgin livers...hahahahaha - i gave it up about 3 years ago cause i got all these headaches and said "SHIT! Now that i can afford the good liquor....I can't drink no mo!" hahahahaha

Fukkin beastly workout bro - can't wait to see what tricks you turn next year!

yeah, me and the wife got a little loose during the holidays, but its back to reality now.

With all that being said, i am really starting to see some great changes to my physique. Muscles filling out and getting harder, waistline tightening up, delts popping again. Pretty stoked after 3 years of being slack.

January is gonna be a good month. lol

yeah, me and the wife got a little loose during the holidays, but its back to reality now.

With all that being said, i am really starting to see some great changes to my physique. Muscles filling out and getting harder, waistline tightening up, delts popping again. Pretty stoked after 3 years of being slack.

January is gonna be a good month. lol

Yeah it's pretty exciting to see changes happening that even you can notice! that's a pretty radical workout you have going on so I would be amazed if the shock to your body doesn't result in some cool changes! I'm going to get serious with the diet in January and see what goes down too!

Good that you enjoyed the holidays though.... BTW is your wife into fitness& nutrition too? cool for you if she is!

yep... she's a figure competitor. she keeps me motivated. :D

Thanks for ruining my day a$$hole! Damn picture burned a hole in my computer screen it was so hot!

i hate guys like you!

J/k - couldn't have happened to a better guy....well okay maybe me, but lets not get too personal.

well, my knees are finally telling me no after all this squats twice a week stuff. lol Maynot be much longer and once a week i go.

Anyway, decent night. good to back on clean food.

12/27

Squats - 395x5x3
Press - 210x5x3 (these were tough as hell as i'm feeling some tension in my right scapula. may need to do some mobility stuff.)
Weighted Pull Ups - 11/10/9, dropped pack and went to town for a bunch more assisted.

Got a vest for Xmas but no weights yet. Ordering them this week.

Forgot to update last night. Decided as I walked into the gym with my partner waiting to do Power Cleans that it was time to end this routine and try something else.

The CNS was just getting wayyyy taxed from the strength AND conditioning stuff, so we decided to change it up a bit. Funny thing was he said "Thank god we're not doing Cleans today!!"

So, its still low volume, progressive load, just doing the conditioning stuff on days by itself and the strength stuff 3 days a week by itself as well.

12/28

Flat Bench - 335x5x2
Hammer Grip DB Press - 110x8x2
Pec Deck - 2 sets of the stack for 10-15
Side Laterals - 30x10x1 - This was dumb as we did the presses the day before and my delts and scapula were sore as hell.
Tricep Pushdowns - 65x50x1, 72x30x1

Felt decently strong as I'm still a lil beat down from the last 6 weeks. I may take next week off and come in ffresh after that and get down with the seriousness. lol

Okay bro; this may be a stupid ass question but here goes - what do you feel like when your CNS is taxed? I must be totally out of touch with that because i can't "get it." Soemtimes I feel wiped out cause i have less sleep or bad sleep, sometimes i have a lackluster workout, but generally when i get toi the gym and get into in, I have pretty good energy. Sometimes like last night - I was wiper so my HIIT cardio looked like a tired guy walking moderately fast on an elliptical and my HR was about 120.

Any clues - i'd like to understand the cns connection better.
Thakks

Okay bro; this may be a stupid ass question but here goes - what do you feel like when your CNS is taxed? I must be totally out of touch with that because i can't "get it." Soemtimes I feel wiped out cause i have less sleep or bad sleep, sometimes i have a lackluster workout, but generally when i get toi the gym and get into in, I have pretty good energy. Sometimes like last night - I was wiper so my HIIT cardio looked like a tired guy walking moderately fast on an elliptical and my HR was about 120.

Any clues - i'd like to understand the cns connection better.
Thakks

thats a good question. lol

to me, it feels like the beginning of test flu (if you've ever had that). not the sickness, just your body is beat down. I can still get into the gym and train, but my lifts suffer and it starts to effect me mentally.

im sure its different for most, and i rarely ever got it when I was ON, so I'm sure that has alot to do with it, but, and I'm not saying you aren't, but i train my body hard as fuck. I think most guys don't feel it because they really don't train with max intensity. Again, not saying who does or doesn't, but i watch guys train. If you are easily blowing through your sets, even if there tough, to me thats not intense.

When i get done with a set of squats... i have to sit down. My legs are shivering and I need time before i get down again. If i wasn't afraid of puking... I'd do it nearly every workout. lol

it took me years to learn how to do it, but once i learned what it meant to train with intensity, y whole wolrd changed.

But this is the first time I have trained like this natty, so I'm sure that has alot to do with it. Plus I'm not 25 anymore. :D

Fuck i knew i missed this workout. Had an awesome workout tonight. Partly because some pickle kisser pissed me off during my first set ( too long of a story).

12/30

Rack Deads - 455x7, 495x5
Smith BB Rows - 275x8, 295x6
Close Grip Pulldowns (palms facing) - 205x8, 220x6
BB curls - 115x8, 135x6

Felt big strong and full. Man if i was on a cycle this would be insane. lol

Anyway, got home, took a shower and treated myself to a giant double angus burger and some tater tots. Now its time for one beer and a Reese's Big Cup and then its bedtime. lol

Last edited:
man am I sore from yesterday. lol

OK, today was a conditioning day. And what do you know, the big guy beat the young CrossFit stud in todays workout... by a whole minute. Who says age isn't beautiful. :D

First MetCon was with the wife. Man I forget how much fun we have training together.

12/31

Conditioning Day

Workout #1

Bottom to Bottom Tabata Squats

as many air squats as possible for 20 seconds, then 10 seconds of rest. keep doing this for 4 minutes. The difference is, you rest in the bottom of the squat. HOLY SHIT!!!

100m sprints - 10 rounds. Each sprint you have 1.5 minutes to complete and rest before the next round. Whew!!

Workout #2

3 Front Squats 185#
7 L-Pullups

5 rounds for time - 2:50

My whole body hurts. Had some eats... the kids napping, and I'm off to let the wifey ride the white pony. Happy New Years boys!!

thats a good question. lol

to me, it feels like the beginning of test flu (if you've ever had that). not the sickness, just your body is beat down. I can still get into the gym and train, but my lifts suffer and it starts to effect me mentally.

im sure its different for most, and i rarely ever got it when I was ON, so I'm sure that has alot to do with it, but, and I'm not saying you aren't, but i train my body hard as fuck. I think most guys don't feel it because they really don't train with max intensity. Again, not saying who does or doesn't, but i watch guys train. If you are easily blowing through your sets, even if there tough, to me thats not intense.

When i get done with a set of squats... i have to sit down. My legs are shivering and I need time before i get down again. If i wasn't afraid of puking... I'd do it nearly every workout. lol

it took me years to learn how to do it, but once i learned what it meant to train with intensity, y whole wolrd changed.

But this is the first time I have trained like this natty, so I'm sure that has alot to do with it. Plus I'm not 25 anymore. :D

Fuck i knew i missed this workout. Had an awesome workout tonight. Partly because some pickle kisser pissed me off during my first set ( too long of a story).

12/30

Rack Deads - 455x7, 495x5
Smith BB Rows - 275x8, 295x6
Close Grip Pulldowns (palms facing) - 205x8, 220x6
BB curls - 115x8, 135x6

Felt big strong and full. Man if i was on a cycle this would be insane. lol

Anyway, got home, took a shower and treated myself to a giant double angus burger and some tater tots. Now its time for one beer and a Reese's Big Cup and then its bedtime. lol

took a pic last night before bed with my camera phone. this is the first recent pic i have taken of myself in several years and decided to post on this board. Not too shabby for an old natty guy. Can i call myself natty now? lol

damn, it looks like i have wood. lol

man am I sore from yesterday. lol

OK, today was a conditioning day. And what do you know, the big guy beat the young CrossFit stud in todays workout... by a whole minute. Who says age isn't beautiful. :D

First MetCon was with the wife. Man I forget how much fun we have training together.

12/31

Conditioning Day

Workout #1

Bottom to Bottom Tabata Squats

as many air squats as possible for 20 seconds, then 10 seconds of rest. keep doing this for 4 minutes. The difference is, you rest in the bottom of the squat. HOLY SHIT!!!

100m sprints - 10 rounds. Each sprint you have 1.5 minutes to complete and rest before the next round. Whew!!

Workout #2

3 Front Squats 185#
7 L-Pullups

5 rounds for time - 2:50

My whole body hurts. Had some eats... the kids napping, and I'm off to let the wifey ride the white pony. Happy New Years boys!!

Hey man
Thanks for the info on the CNS - i got to do more research on that, cause when i am on cycle i push it to the max and sometimes wonder if i need some more recovery mentally if that makes sense. The muscles always seem to catch up in a few days but i rarely let up on the intensity.
I do know what you mean about "learning" to train with intensity - it took me a long time to get there, mostly because i was embarrassed by getting spent or breathing too hard, grunting, etc. There aren't many at my gym who go balls to the wall. I get the same thing on my legs when i do my leg press routine - after my last set, my legs take on a life of their own like in "Altered states" - It's freaky.

Man - your "diet" busts me up! Tater tots?hahahahhaha
Good for you about beating the crossfit studs "old man" - you got to do it if you intend to keep up with your little man in the future - he'll be running circles around you in a few years! That's my #1 motivation - LOL Nice you got a pony ride your New years - keep up with that cardio bro! Best for 2011, beast!

Alright, took a much need week off from the gym to let the CNS recover. Felt awesome today getting back in train with the wife. DId a few different MetCons. Back to the iron tomorow.

1/8

Box Jump/Clapping Push Up Ladder

10 Box Jumps/1 Clapping Push Up
9 Box Jumps/2 Clapping Push Ups
2 Box Jumps/9 Clapping Push Ups
1 Box Jump/10 Clapping Push Ups

Time - 4:26

15-12-9

Pull Ups
70lb DB Swings
Dips

Time - 3:45

5 Burpee Pull Ups
5 Lateral Burpees
5 Burpee Box Jumps

3 rounds for time

Time - 4:40 (i think, this one sucked)

Great 30-40 minutes in the gym getting the heart pumping. 5-10min rest in between each workout.

Damn - #1 looks intense! how high is the box? i want to get back into those at some point, but my knees don't hurt atm so i think I'll live with that for a while....

Can't believe you took a whole week off! how ofter do you do that? been years since i took more than 4 days in a row off - and that was after prostate surgery! ouch! Maybe i'll try it after this cycle.

Damn - #1 looks intense! how high is the box? i want to get back into those at some point, but my knees don't hurt atm so i think I'll live with that for a while....

Can't believe you took a whole week off! how ofter do you do that? been years since i took more than 4 days in a row off - and that was after prostate surgery! ouch! Maybe i'll try it after this cycle.

i take off if my body tells me to. If not, i never go more than 16 weeks without taking a week off.

Well, it figures when I'm ready to get back to the iron the damn bottom falls out and the snow and ice lock everything down in this fucking state. Guess I'll be taking a few more days off.

Back