Soul Rebel's trying to get DIESEL log

Well, I've been on this board quite a while, just don't really post much. I decided to start a log to track my progress. My stats are: 21 years old, 6'2" 250 lbs., BF is kind of high, unsure of exact number put prolly around 15-18%. I don't max-out, but my 5 rep totals thus far are: 385X5 dead, 315X5 bench (the WEAKEST link), and 355X5 ATG squat. I'm currently on a 5X5 program, but I appear to be nearing plateus, so I'll be looking to change to something different soon. Realistic goals are to lean out to 220 lbs. and about 11-13% BF. I'm pretty happy with my strength right now, considering I have mostly an ecto body type. But I know I'm far from strong, and of course would like to see at least a 365 max bench, which I think I'm still quite a ways off. Feel free to leave any comments and/or suggestions at any time.

I had only an okay day today at the gym. Due to a knee injury, I have been unable to squat for the last month (doctor's orders) but I will start again in a couple of weeks when (hopefully) there isn't any soreness. Here's the workout:
Bench
2x10 95lbs. warm-up
160X5
200X5
240X5
280X5
315X5
T-bar rows
90X5
115X5
135X5
160X5
180X5
I switched to t-bar rows from bent-over rows as I plateaud at 295X5, stil getting used to the t-bar rows, that's why the low numbers.
I also did 4s of weighted abs on a steep decline bench.
For the record, I have never used any hardcore gear before, nor do I intend to for a long while. The only steroid I would consider in the near future would be var, to lean out some. I have however used Pheraplex (I know it is extremely similar to a steroid) by Anabolic Xtreme, and experienced pretty good results. I gained about 15 lbs on a 5 week cycle, and kept about 8 of it. Overall, I was pretty happy with the product.

Last edited:
I was supposed to lift last night, but I had to study, so I lifted this afternoon. I'm really missing squats, my knees have very little soreness in them, so i'm hoping the doc gives me the ok. The workouts just seem a little short without the squats, but I'm still wasted after the deads. Here's today's workout:
Standing Military Press
125X5
145X5
170X5
195X5
Deadlift
245x5
295x5
340x5
385x5
4 sets of weighted abs on a decline bench
Tomorrow I will start doing HIIT cardio, definitely looking forward to it.

Didn't get a chance to do HIIT cardio, so I'm gonna have to postpone it until Tuesday, when I will have all day. Here's today's workout:
Bench
165x5
205x5
240x5
280x5
320x3
240x8
T-Bar Rows
115X5
135X5
160X5
180X5
Was supposed to do more, but was short on time.
Barbell Curls
3s of 115x8
Skullcrushers (with barbell)
3s of 115x8
I definitely feel like my bench is nearing it's limits, everything I'm doing with each week is a PR, so I'm pretty happy about the routine thus far. Any suggestions for what routine to try next? I've tried DC, but I don't think I was doing it correctly. WSB has also caught my attention, but I need to read up a bit more about it.

Well, I haven't updated since last week because I was really down that I didn't hit my lifts on Monday. I did 320x4 instead of 320x5 for flat bench; really kind of fucked me up psychologically. I did get a couple new PR's again this week, but I guess I'm just not used to getting stuck, especially at such a light weight (considering my weight I should be WAY stronger). Well the good news is that on Wednesday I hit 390x5 for DL and 200x5 for MP. Updates to follow on Monday.

Well, I didn't hit my lift for bench again, so I'm thinking it's time to get on another routine...SOON. But to be fair, I have also been trying to cut and have restricted my calories a bit more than I wanted to (too quickly). I'm also keeping a food journal on fitday.com to monitor everything I eat. Here's yesterday's WO:
Flat Bench
165x5
205x5
245x5
280x5
320x4<---Sucks!
T-Bar Rows
I'm not sure how much the bar weighs, so I'll list the poundage added only.
115X5
135X5
160X5
190X5
4s weighted situps.
That is all.
I guess, I'll also track my weight...This week I am down to 249.2 from last week's 252.8. I weight myself once a week or so in the morning.

Last edited:
Damn, I didn't update this since last year. To give a brief update, i basically plateaued where I left off on bench, got discouraged, fucked up my knuckle playing ball, had a shitload of studying to do, blah, blah, blah, I was out for approximately two months. I just started again a little over a month ago, and my strength is coming back nicely. I've also decided to add-in some different exercises than the 5x5 allows for. I feel that the most lagging part of my physique (if you want to call it that) is my rear delts. Therefore, I will be doing a little more back-related/accessory work, of which I already started this week. For cardio, I'm mainly going to swim, as I have a swimming pool at my place (not Olympic of course, but it'll do) and I see it as a good full-body workout. I will start to post up the routine again on Monday, but here's a current rundown of my lifts thus far: Bench: 280x5 (I did 325 pretty easily after all my sets just to make sure I could) Dead: 355x5 (with a dead reset at bottom) Squat: 295x5 (ATG, haven't been squatting consistently unfortunately due to off/on pain) Sitting Military Press: 205x8 (trying to keep the reps a little higher to avoid shoulder injury). I think that covers most of the main lifts. I look forward to keeping up with the journal this time around. Oh, and I weighed in this morning at 237.1lbs.

I just got back from the gym, unfortunately my knee didn't feel well enough to squat, so I just made do.
Flat Bench
155x5
185x5
225x5
255x5
285x5<--wasn't as easy as I had hoped
Bent-over Rows
165x5
195x5
225x5
245x5
Abs
3x12 Decline Sit-ups
My knuckle still bothers me from time to time, especially on pulling exercises, as they put direct pressure on it (palm), hence the low (pulling) numbers. I've been to a couple of doctors who both have said that it will require surgery to fully heal, but I don't think it's worth it at this point. It is manageable, but definitely annoying; simple things like cracking the knuckle kicks my ass and makes me cringe like a little bitch.

Gym was closed yesterday, so I was forced to take a day off, like many others I assume. Regardless, I did Wednesday's workout today.
Sitting MP
135x8
160x8
190x8
210x7<--Probably could've done 8, but my lifting partner is on vacation, so I didn't want to chance it
Barbell Shrugs
225x12 (2 sets warm-up)
315x10
365x10
405x10
455x8
2s Pull-ups, 2s chins
4s Bent-over lat raise
No deadlift or lower back work today unfortunately as I'm recovering from a slightly sprained ankle. Will be back next week no doubt though--along with squats. :)
Overall it was an OK day, of course it felt empty without deads, but I don't think one week off will hurt things too much. I'm also going to have to get used to having no spot for a couple of weeks, which will undoubtedly be challenging since I like to go heavy. I may lighten things up on the core lifts if I feel I'm nearing failure, as another injury would be the last thing I need right now. Will report back tomorrow. Did I mention that I hate when I'm forced to lift back-to-back days, instead of my usual MWF split? That's life I guess.

Adida, whatever I post up is basically the workout, I know it looks like too little volume, but I've gotten decent results from it; although I am exploring other alternatives. I'm really used to lifting heavy with low reps (former Max-OT trainee) so I try to stick with routines more geared towards that style. That being said though, I maybe getting stronger, but I don't think I'm getting bigger, probably due to not switching to a different routine.
Today's workout:
Flat Bench
155x5
185x5
225x5
245x5
275x8 (Decided to go lighter until my partner gets back)
Skullcrushers
3s of 125x8
Dips
3s of 12 BW dips (really need a dip belt)
Bent-Over Rows
165x8
195x8
225x8
245x8
Barbell Curls
3s of 105x8
4s Decline bench abs
Overall, I feel like changing it up more and more lately, so my lifts may be stalling/suffering. Didn't have time for cardio this week, but will start on Sunday.

Yeah, my form is pretty strict. I agree, I think it's a very difficult exercise to maintain form while increasing poundage.

Swam for 20 minutes today, forgot how taxing swimming really is! More than anything though, it really showed me how out of shape I am. Weighed in at 236 this morning.

Back