TheMilkMan's Quest for 1750

Weeks 4 and 5: Days 25 through 31: De-Load

*Went on vacation, hung out and got a great tan. Didn't think all that much about the gym and ate crappier than I would have wanted, but made sure that I was getting some protein at each meal and trying to still eat 5-6 times a day.

Monday 7/27:
Push-Ups 9 x 20, 1 x 35
Pull-Ups 9 x 5, 1 x 8

Friday 7/31:
Push-Ups 4 x 25, 4 x 20

*That was the extent of my training for the week... I was more consumed with the beautiful beach and the Miller High Life lol.
*Ended up picking up a pair of Chuck Taylor Converses for Squatting and Deadlifting and a new gym bag as well.

*Very excited to hit it super super hard tomorrow.

Change in Assistance Work

I decided that I'm going to try another Assistance Work routine that Wendler lays out in his 5/3/1. He calls it the "Triumvirate". Basically you hit the main lift and then do the 2 most effective exercises that you have found for your upper or lower body. He calls for 5 sets of 10-15 for most of the exercises and says that you must limit yourself because most people go a little too crazy.

I like the idea because you have to think about what each exercise does for you and how much you have noticed a change in specific areas of your body or main lifts. It should be a fun change, I'll keep everyone posted.

Also, I'm going to be changing the % scheme for my 3 heavy compound working sets. The first wave I started a little heavier and only increased my weight by 5% at a time, whereas this wave I will be working with a little less weight to begin with but progressing with larger weight increases.

Week 1 will be as followed:
65% of 1RM for 5
75% of 1RM for 5
85% of 1RM for 5 +

Rather than:
75% of 1RM for 5
80% of 1RM for 5
85% of 1RM for 5 +

Last edited:
Week 5: Day 32: Standing Military Press

Wave 2: Week 1: 3x5

Day 32: Standing Military Press
120lbs(65%)/5
140lbs(75%)/5
155lbs(85%)/15

*felt very good and strong

Assistance Work:
CGBP 185/10, 195/10, 205/10, 215/9, 215/9
Lat Pull Downs 180/10, 185/10, 190/10, 195/10, 200/8

15 minutes HIIT training... 1 minute high intensity, 1 minute low intensity

*beat the first waves week 1 military press by 5lbs and 1 rep

Last edited:
I decided that I'm going to try another Assistance Work routine that Wendler lays out in his 5/3/1. He calls it the "Triumvirate".

very interesting - is Wendlers stuff on a website or diod you buy a book? If so which one & where? amazon?
Day 22: Military Press
120lbs(65%)/5
140lbs(75%)/5
155lbs(85%)/15

*felt very good and strong

Assistance Work:
CGBP 185/10, 195/10, 205/10, 215/9, 215/9
Lat Pull Downs 180/10, 185/10, 190/10, 195/10, 200/8

Damn dude - that's some heavy weight for the military - standing or seated?
Seems like the assitance work focused on tris and lats? Hmmmmm don't really understand that combo...

BTW - how's work? Did you did the boss take you out for lunch? LOL!

very interesting - is Wendlers stuff on a website or diod you buy a book? If so which one & where? amazon?

His book is on Elite Fitness Systems website. If you google 5/3/1 for raw strength I'm sure it will come up.

Damn dude - that's some heavy weight for the military - standing or seated?
Seems like the assitance work focused on tris and lats? Hmmmmm don't really understand that combo...

BTW - how's work? Did you did the boss take you out for lunch? LOL!

Standing military press... I'm hoping to be working with 200lbs+ by winter. The assistance work is supposed to be the most effective exercise for building your upper body. For me, lat pulls, one arm rows, pull ups, and bent over rows are going to be the staples for back. Incline DB and barbell, CGBP, and weighted dips are going to be the staples for chest/shoulders/tris.

First day of work was today... Mostly BS paperwork, etc...

Week 5: Day 33: No Training

*First day of real work was today... Mostly just stupid paperwork and company policy stuff

this is a great looking program milk, ill have to try and incorporate some of its theories once i start gaining again and taking in adequate cals. but i have to ask, and correct me if i missed something, coming out of your post cycle therapy (pct), dont you think you are going to be at a pretty low weak point with fluctuations in strength, mood, and energy? maybe this type of program would be more valid and consistent in the middle of an on or off cycle season. but i can also see benefit in starting this program at your lowest point, just want to know your thoughts.

No Dtone hes not at at a weak point. Your pics at 175 are more than impressive. However there comes a time in weight lifting when you take no prisoners. Milk has hit that point and i suggest you do the same.

Imagine squattting 6, benching 5 and deadlifting 6 its no tommorow brother believe it man. You will get to to the point that even Lesnar, big MMA heayweigheights and Miller well thats exaggeratingg etc.., and mendelson say WTF. Train like a pro and you will be a pro bigdog believe it.

Good job Milky but come at us when your squattin 6+ you got in in you dude take no prioners, kill the weights tell them that aint got shit and destroy anything anything that comes in your path. Fuck it remembe that it's all about legs and you got it so destroy it. Listen to Dave Tate you will make it and crush what you never thught was imaginable.

Good job Milky but come at us when your squattin 6+ you got in in you dude take no prioners, kill the weights tell them that aint got shit and destroy anything anything that comes in your path. Fuck it remembe that it's all about legs and you got it so destroy it. Listen to Dave Tate you will make it and crush what you never thught was imaginable.

Thanks brother... Being mentioned in the same blurb as some of the most bad ass dudes in the world is quite the compliment.

As far as Squatting and hitting legs hard... I've always "enjoyed" Squatting simply cuz I have always been good at it and it's incredible for growth. 600 is in the future I think, but not anytime soon.

Week 5: Day 34: Deadlift

Day 34: Deadlift
300lbs(65%)/5
345lbs(75%)/5
390lbs(85%)/12

*felt very strong... hands weren't a issue at all

Assistance Work:
Good Mornings 95/10 x 4
Hanging Leg Raises bw/15 x 2, bw/15 x 2
superset w/
DB Hammer Curls 50's/10 x 2, 55's/8

10 minutes on the elliptical

*felt pretty good throughout the entire training session, but definitely felt fatigued after deadlifting
*first 2 sets of hanging leg raises were good and strict, second 2 sets were a hybrid between leg raises and knee raises
*beat the first waves DL #'s by 5lbs and 2 reps

Last edited:
Week 5: Day 35: No Training

*working is quite the change... very very tired as soon as I get home and I'm going to have to make sure I get a solid 8 hours every night and keep up the good nutrition

*working is quite the change... very very tired as soon as I get home and I'm going to have to make sure I get a solid 8 hours every night and keep up the good nutrition

Lol, you are a honest man. Welcome to the real world of working slobs. You will adjust. The good news is that you get a paycheck.

Dude I hear you on that work is killing my diet and training bigtime bro. I really wish I had my home gym again so I could hit it early in the a.am like I like then get on with the day.

Lol, you are a honest man. Welcome to the real world of working slobs. You will adjust. The good news is that you get a paycheck.

That is a very good point. Fortunately for me, my job is a mix of me being behind a desk and on my feet, so I am much more active than the average working slob. I guess this fits even more into my power lifting lifestyle.

I'm hoping inactivity + good nutrition = strength.

Dude I hear you on that work is killing my diet and training bigtime bro. I really wish I had my home gym again so I could hit it early in the a.am like I like then get on with the day.

See I like going to the gym early and getting it done with so I can go about my day, but I don't feel strong in the morning. Also, knowing that I'll be in the gym after work gets me through the 10 hour day and the commute to and from work.

Week 6: Day 36: Bench Press

Day 36: Bench Press
195lbs(65%)/5
225lbs(75%)/5
255lbs(85%)/9.5
275/1#

#pause press
*didn't feel super strong today, but had a good set anyway
*changed my grip to a competition width to shorten the path the bar travels... hopefully in the long run this will yield huge gains

Assistance Work:
Incline Bench Press 135/12, 145/12, 155/12, 165/8
One Arm DB Rows 100/12, 105/12, 110/12 x 2
HS Preacher Curls 70/15, 12
superset w/
Seated Dips 150/15, 12
*threw in a couple sets of arms because I'm not going to be using them for 4 more days and Wendler doesn't call for anything specific

Yo bro - nice workouts, dude - glad to see you didn't throw in the towel now that you are a working stiff! It's always easier to go out for nachos and few margs after work but it catches up with you fast! LOL I find the moring is the best time for me at the gym 'cause i am wasted mentally after a day at the office - once i get in there I'm good to go. But you're a young 'un so you may still have the fire goin at 8 o'clock ;-)

Keep pushing - I'm counting on you to hit 1750, man!

Yo bro - nice workouts, dude - glad to see you didn't throw in the towel now that you are a working stiff! It's always easier to go out for nachos and few margs after work but it catches up with you fast! LOL I find the moring is the best time for me at the gym 'cause i am wasted mentally after a day at the office - once i get in there I'm good to go. But you're a young 'un so you may still have the fire goin at 8 o'clock ;-)

Keep pushing - I'm counting on you to hit 1750, man!

Thanks brother, I'm trying to stay motivated as much as possible.

Week 6: Day 37: No Training

*It was Friday, I just worked my first full week at the new job and I needed a night to relax. Not to mention it was a scheduled day off.

Week 6: Day 38: Running

Yes, I said it.... Running.

I went out for a run today. Managed to run 1.25 hilly miles before I had to stop. It worked out that I was like a mile from my house, so I sprinted/walked back (totaled 5 40 yard dashes and the rest was walking).

Figured I'd work on some GPP when I get the chance.

Week 6: Day 39: Squat

Day 39: Squat
240lbs(65%)/5
280lbs(75%)/5
315lbs(85%)/10*

*very surprised that I got that many reps after being achy from DL day, being sore from running for the first time in forever yesterday, working a full 10 hours today, and being super low energy

Assistance Work
Leg Press 3plates/20, 4plates/20, 5plates/10
Lying Leg Curls 100/12, 100/12, 60/20
superset w/
Decline Crunches bw/15 x 3

*used knee wraps for the last set of Squats just to try and feel them out... really liked them

Back