DEA Bust Powermedica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Golgo--"DRT". That's a good one! If it's alright with you, I think I'll start using that phrase in my lectures (when I am explaining what testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is NOT).

SWALE said:
Golgo--"DRT". That's a good one! If it's alright with you, I think I'll start using that phrase in my lectures (when I am explaining what testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is NOT).
Sure!

You can lead off with:

"one of my patients was looking at his blood test the other day and noticed that his body wasn't making any deca."

So this means that everyone has been buying steroids without a valid Rx and
the DEA has the records. Yikes.

Golgo13 said:
Sure!

You can lead off with:

"one of my patients was looking at his blood test the other day and noticed that his body wasn't making any deca."

I could be wrong, but isn't nandrolone found in pregnant woman.

Golgo--Dude, you are on a roll!

Yes, the placenta produces very small amounts of nandrolone. Now, all the guys here who have a placenta please raise your hands. Sorry, I think Golgo is rubbing off on me.

aznurse said:
So this means that everyone has been buying steroids without a valid Rx and
the DEA has the records. Yikes.
Anyone that got a prescription from them will not be in trouble. They were informed it was legal by the company, and appeared to be a legal prescription by the consumer. If anyone is in trouble, it will be Powermedica, not its clients.

tee said:
Anyone that got a prescription from them will not be in trouble. They were informed it was legal by the company, and appeared to be a legal prescription by the consumer. If anyone is in trouble, it will be Powermedica, not its clients.

Ignorance of the law has never been a valid excuse for breaking it... I would think if they really wanted to they could go after the customers, but why do it?

Rules said:
Ignorance of the law has never been a valid excuse for breaking it... I would think if they really wanted to they could go after the customers, but why do it?
The customer was not "Ignorant" of the law. They took all the necessary steps they needed to (Blood test, medical history questionaire, etc). They were mislead.

They "Could" do anything, but I guarantee they wont. That would hurt their cause by going after a person that believed he/she purchased a legal prescription and was told it was a legal prescription. There was no way any customer could have known they were illegal. They could not and would not ever get a conviction against the customer so that would be frivolous to go after them.

Well... if they got busted... they sure didn't take down the website.... I doubt they actually got busted.... probably probed...but still looks operational..

from what I gather they got raided through search warrants. the government then takes what they have and puts together a case. powermedica could still be up and running and later on get hit with indictments. the government doesn't typically perform raids that come up empty. I think these guys have problems coming.

MPPM said:
I think these guys have problems coming.
They sure do. They best take their profits and shut down, rather than trying to make even more money and go to jail. But they are overwelmed with greed.

came across this in another thread today

(Reference)
Deerfield Beach

Health officials suspend online pharmacy's license

The Florida Department of Health has suspended the license of a Deerfield Beach online pharmacy that was raided in February on allegations it was illegally selling steroids and growth hormones without prescriptions.

The emergency suspension, issued this week and posted on the department's Web site, prohibits PowerMedica from selling medications. Company Chief Executive Dan Dailey declined to comment.

In court papers, federal agents said they began investigating PowerMedica after they were able to buy medications without seeing a doctor.

I live in the are and as far as I know they're still doing business. I'm not sure if it was previously mentioned, but the funny thing is that there was a number of BSO officers that had scripts as well! When the sheriff was going through their client list he recognized some names, and they were his own officers!! The thing is they had legal scripts, so they weren't breaking the law. They still got suspended though, which I still can't believe. Then again, I don't really mind b/c I might get pulled over one day by one of these juiced up uniforms and have a bad experience!

Well, in addition to the recent news article that their medical license has been suspended, their website has only shown a "systems updating" message for the past few days.

This will be interesting to see how things play out. If they are really going after them solely based on them giving out prescriptions without a doctor seeing the client in person, they will probably lose in state court. I remember reading Florida case law that allows internet pharmacies to prescribe medication as long as they make a valid attempt to ascertain that the person they are prescribing the meds to is the actual person. If they go after them for prescribing medications without the proper bloodwork needed, and if they did in fact do that, then they are screwed.

Internet pharmacies cannot "prescribe medication". Only doctors can do that. This is another area these charlatans are breaking the law. Somehow, along the way, they got the notion it is okay for them to prescribe and devise treatment therapies (which is why there is not one of them which is actually providing care of any quality). When someone calls in, it is usually just some kid answering the phone, whose first question will be "How much do you have to spend?" What a coincidence: the treatment this kid will then need (ahem) "prescribe" will exactly match that amount!

In fact, in many cases, there isn't even a doctor involved in the process anywhere. Some have just made up nonexistent physician's names. Several have their scripts signed all by the same doctor who just rubber stamps everything in exchange for fees.

Also, it is the law everywhere that no patient can be forced to purchase their meds at any given location. This is pure Consumer Protection stuff. Try signing up with one of these Internet pharmacies, finding out what therapy they recommend, then tell them you want the script forwarded to your local pharmacy.

Are the "doctors" involved providing appropriate follow-up care and monitoring? Of course not--that would take time away from money making. All they want to do is sell more drugs--and at rip-off prices.

Their "Medical History" is a joke. It is nothing but a java applet--and all are okayed.

I am intimately aware of an Internet pharmacy that induced permanent Type II diabetes in a "patient" by selling him high dose unmonitored HGH. BTW, this is an operation whose owner published that their so-called "Medical Director" "laughed at [my] treatment protocols". Another one did on another Board, too. As if.

Aro--Theirs were not "legit scripts".

I know of no Internet pharmacy which conducts itself with anything even approaching an ethical or legal basis. Were I on their "patient list" I would be very concerned, especially if I had a professional license of any sort to protect, or was a law enforcement officer myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back