What constitutes "good" genetics?

Andy13

Community Veteran, The Chemist
Most of my interest and knowledge about the sport is in the relm of chemistry and pharmacology, and how it relates to BBIng. I know nothing about competing, symmetry, or you name it when it comes to this aspect of the sport.

Since genetics play a big role in how your physique looks and develops, what constitutes "good" genetics vs bad or undesirable genetics? What attributes do guys with great genetics possess?

From the members pic forum, what are some good examples of members with very good genetics?

My pics

Last edited:
Good genetics? You know the guy who eats mcdonalds and junk everyday, drinks heavily 5 nights a week, never works out yet is 5'10 180lbs @ 7% bodyfat. That's good genetics. Put that guys in the gym with a good diet and steroids and you have a freak.

There's a lot of factors to considering in genetics. Response to training and diet, response to steroids. Obvsiously can't forget about shape and proportion. There are plenty of guys out there who are 240lbs shredded but will never be champion bodybuilders because they simply don't look good. Flip through a BBing magazine and look at some of the guys in the "before and after" adds for supplements. A lot of them are big and lean, but not proportional or have a desirable shape.

According to your "scale" lol I'd rate your genetics at about an 8. Good traits like good shape in your chest and shoulders. You do look a little "lanky" (but that's by bodybuilding standards so don't be offended)...I would guess your legs are quite skinny. You just don't have the "bulk" type of structure from what I see. Your ectomorphic in nature (where meso is perfect for BBing).

outlawtas2 said:
According to your "scale" lol I'd rate your genetics at about an 8. Good traits like good shape in your chest and shoulders. You do look a little "lanky" (but that's by bodybuilding standards so don't be offended)...I would guess your legs are quite skinny. You just don't have the "bulk" type of structure from what I see. Your ectomorphic in nature (where meso is perfect for BBing).

When I started 3-4 months ago I had even less muscle and a lot more fat. I basically started from scratch. I spent three months dieting and using TA at 50mg EOD. I was surprised to actually gain some size and strength even though I ate 1700 calories and did a shit load of cardio. My main focus was fat loss. I wanted the TA as more of an anti-catabolic but was pleasantly surprised when I made some pretty good gains while dieting. Obviously my program wasn't optimized for maximal growth. So next I'm looking to add some size. I'd love to put on a good 20lbs of muscle.

I'm wearing pants in the picture, but my legs are probably my best body part. I really slacked off on working legs because they at least matched, if not exceeded, the muscularity and definition in my upper body without any training. My upper body has since caught up, and so now it's time to get re-acquainted with the squat rack.

Back