Bula's 12 weeks of hell (Contest Prep time)

bula

Mr TampaBay 2007
MR TAMPABAY!! (was Bula's 12 weeks of hell)

Well off season is over. What a freaking intense 8 months. The pain, injuries and unbelieveable lifts are over. Time to shred baby! After getting to as much as 60 lbs from my contest weight last year (165), I dialed it down a bit these last few weeks and as I started my 12 week diet yesterday, i'm sitting at about 207 lbs but much leaner and fuller than last year. Gained quite a bit of mass too. Target 176 middles here I come.

This year should be a lot easier now that i've been through it. My diet and precontest protocol is very detailed and by the book, but the results are worth it. Now's when you see what the fu#k you trained so hard for. Time to peal the onion so to speak.

I'll be posting photos as much as here so I can to track my cutting and get feedback. 11.5 weeks out photos below. Diet/cardio started yesterday so this should be the "as bad as it gets" photos since I am just starting my cut. As always, any feedback pro or con is welcome.

Contest Date - June 9.
Bula

Last edited:
You will be scarily in shape for your comp. You are quite lean as it is, looking big as well.

Would you mind posting up your diet/training/cardio regimine (maybe just a basic outline, i'm not sure hot detailed you get...)

Good luck man!

Last edited:
damn..you look tall in the photos but i've got to assume if that's you at 207...you ar like 5-8ish? Regardless, you are pretty lean for just finishing a bulker, good job on that. Good size and separation already....your weeks to come are going to look amazing. Any details on your contest prep techinques? Lifts, rep schemes, diet, supplements?

outlawtas2 said:
You will be scarily in shape for your comp. You are quite lean as it is, looking big as well.

Would you mind posting up your diet/training/cardio regimine (maybe just a basic outline, i'm not sure hot detailed you get...)

Good luck man!

Damn you...beatting me to all my comments and questions

outlawtas2 said:
BTW your avatar pic always amazed me...was that taken before a comp or something ??

Thanks. Taken 2 days prior to my first contest last year.

Aczech said:
damn..you look tall in the photos but i've got to assume if that's you at 207...you ar like 5-8ish? Regardless, you are pretty lean for just finishing a bulker, good job on that. Good size and separation already....your weeks to come are going to look amazing. Any details on your contest prep techinques? Lifts, rep schemes, diet, supplements?

I'm 5'8-5'9. Somewhere in that area.

In a nutshell, for now, 30 min cardio mornings, 8 meals daily super clean (every 2 hours), 310g protein, 200g carbs, unlimited salad and veggies, no salt, no sugar, no sugar substitutes, 2 gals H20 daily, supps exactly timed throughout the day including some thermos (all over the counter), workout split over 6 days a week (sundays off except cardio.) Oh and for now, 2 "anything goes" cheat meals per week mid day wed and saturday. This diet will tighten up as I get closer to contest, but for now I MUST keep cals and carbs up.

The workouts are lighter compared to the offseason. 12 sets of 10 per body part - thats it. But still intense and hitting failure on every set.

Bula

Bula, do you follow a carb cut off? ie. comsume all your carbs before a specific time in the day

Easto said:
Bula, do you follow a carb cut off? ie. comsume all your carbs before a specific time in the day

5pm last carb .. thanks I forgot to mention that.

that seems like a low amount of cardio...will you increase it or are you just a lucky bastard and will lose fat on just 30min/day?

outlawtas2 said:
that seems like a low amount of cardio...will you increase it or are you just a lucky bastard and will lose fat on just 30min/day?

I've been preaching forever that people overuse cardio. This guy is a perfect example.

LiftTillIDie said:
I've been preaching forever that people overuse cardio. This guy is a perfect example.

yeah but fully bulked up this guy still has clearly visible 4 pack! I think people overbulk and as a result have to overcompensate.

Coming in 10lbs heavier is probably going to be a very visible difference...especially when your BF really gets low.

outlawtas2 said:

I over killed on cardio last year and although I was ultra ripped, it cost me some size. This year my cardio will be only increased as absolutely needed. I expect right before contest i'll be doing 2-a-days on cardio. But LiftTillIDie is right, perfect diet is the key to ripping, not cardio.

thanks for posting bro keep the updates coming with as much info as possible , it will help the beginners who are looking to get ready for a competition .

bula said:
I over killed on cardio last year and although I was ultra ripped, it cost me some size. This year my cardio will be only increased as absolutely needed. I expect right before contest i'll be doing 2-a-days on cardio. But LiftTillIDie is right, perfect diet is the key to ripping, not cardio.

That is true, slower cutting will leave you fuller and keep most muscle.

Like Dawg said, keep us updated man!

11 weeks out and i've already got veins crawling up my legs and abs everywhere. I didnt have that until about 3 weeks out last year. Wake up dry weight this morning was at 201. I need to monitor this closely. I'm really peeling out water fast. Trying all I can to not go catabolic. I'm still really eating like crazy, but its so clean that the body is burning it as fast as im putting it in.

My cardio is limited to 30 minutes of power walking first thing in the morning. I hardly brew a sweat but the upper quads burn like hell which is great. Wanna win a contest? Shread your upper quads cause most boys don't have em or if they do, they're always the part that is covered up with the remaining water and fat.

My current workouts which were as high as 2.5 hours daily off season are now about 45 minutes max - but those workouts have almost no rest between sets and totally wipe me out. You dont realize how much you need sugars to lift huge weights. But precontest is NOT about maximum weights, its about maximum intensity.

Have a great weekend folks.

Last edited:
Bula, are you working with anyone for your contest prep? I know most trainer won't let you post info on the net, but.....

If not, I'm sure most of us would be interested in seeing a day-by-day journal outline of your diet (food eaten each day) and cardio.

bula said:
You dont realize how much you need sugars to lift huge weights. .

I feel you on that one...I get wiped just walking in to the gym, never mind actually hitting the weights.

bula
I see you do 12 sets of 10-six day split and 30 min cardio. could you give me a breakdown on your mon-sat workout . just wondering if you hitting things up once or twice a week . i like the fact that your getting it done in 45 min ....thanks

Back