Crossfit, who here has experience with it?

Zero V

Prodigal son
A female friend of mine goes to a cross fit club downtown. All of her photos have peaked my interest as the environment is so much more fascinating than the years of being in gyms I am used to.

As I am a functional lifter(not a mass monster) I see the enjoyment and benefits of this and may be spending the next several months giving it a try.

Just wondering if anyone else is involved in it. I know its been out for years, but I have been a traditionalist until as of late.

It has merit. Many of the exercises are based on explosive power, which makes it exciting. Unfortunately, there are a few niggles I have with CrossFit that I'll never get over:

-Kipping is bullshit. Go on youtube and look up kipping pullups, then google women doing like 100 kipping pullups. Not to sound like a total prick, but if a woman can do 100 kipping pullups, then a kipping pullup isn't doing shit for you. There's a reason I can do nearly 100 kipping pullups in a row but only 27 back arched strict pullups.

-Paleo diet. CrossFitters are always touting this bullshit. Cutting all grains out of your diet is just retarded. I am my healthiest when I consume in moderation.

It has merit. Many of the exercises are based on explosive power, which makes it exciting. Unfortunately, there are a few niggles I have with CrossFit that I'll never get over:

-Kipping is bullshit. Go on youtube and look up kipping pullups, then google women doing like 100 kipping pullups. Not to sound like a total prick, but if a woman can do 100 kipping pullups, then a kipping pullup isn't doing shit for you. There's a reason I can do nearly 100 kipping pullups in a row but only 27 back arched strict pullups.

-Paleo diet. CrossFitters are always touting this bullshit. Cutting all grains out of your diet is just retarded. I am my healthiest when I consume in moderation.

x100. I laugh at the amount of kipping some people will do. Yeah you can do 50 but let me see you so 15 properly.
Cross training is a great workout. I cut it because I'm trying to put on a lot of size, but they do some good shit.

awesome cardio routines. My knees hurt so I dont run, but with cfit i dont have to. I feel like Im in better shape now than i was when I ran.

I do think cfit can be really abusive on your body though. It all depends on the routines you do.

I dont like the way cfit has branded itself and it costs 1000 bux to get a cert. Its b.s. You can make your own cfit routines up if your knowledgeable in different types of exercise.

Wow that has to be the worst exercise ever. The kipping pull up what a crock of shit IMO. That's like cheating using that created momentum isn't helping you... like arching your back doing curls to get that last rep. Yeah great for getting the heart rate up but you can't beat the traditional pull up.

I think that it is an alternative for some, much like P90x. For the guys trying to add size it is the wrong routine, but for the typical guy who's been sitting on the couch doing nothing...it will help them get into better shape and then they can see where they want to go from there.

The lifts are good but their Workouts are ridiculous, too much volume and not enough weight. Most people end up tweeking it and just end up power lifting and doing olympic lifts. It is a good place to learn the lifts I guess.

Wow that has to be the worst exercise ever. The kipping pull up what a crock of shit IMO. That's like cheating using that created momentum isn't helping you... like arching your back doing curls to get that last rep. Yeah great for getting the heart rate up but you can't beat the traditional pull up.

I totally agree with you when it comes to bodybulding and trying to build your lats. I think kipping can be really good for athletic performance though. I must say I have minimal experience with it because I also prefer the traditional pull up but I have tried it and I can see how it can work for explosive power for some types of athletes.

Crossfit is probably not very good for bodybuilders. They should just stick to their proven workout plans and hit the traditional cardio machines to lose the fat. A hard crossfit routine should only be done 3 times a week. You probably shouldnt even lift weights on the days in between.

Any one here ever watched the cross fit games? I am personally not a fan of doing cross fit but did watch the games a few weeks back. Them dudes are seriously fit - lol! The sad thing is that the winner of the games gets 250K where the winner of the Olympia gets 200K. BS in my opinion

Crossfit looks like a good way to injure yourself. their kipping pull ups look like someone is having a seizure while hanging from a bar.

Agree 100%. I notice crossfitters form is lacking in almost everything they do. And dont get me started on the Paleo BS, even when I prove them wrong they continue to spew their word vomit.

Too many reps, too little weight. I also just do not like the whole crossfit mentality. I have been to a few crossfit gyms, and they all act like they are just the hardest people on the planet. I get it, they are very fit, and have good endurance. But that is just not what I am into, I like being bigger. They also have this whole thing where they think that their shit don't stink. All they talk about in there are their workouts like "judy" and how long it took them to do 100 kipping pull ups, which as everyone has already said are fucking bullshit.

I hate the Paleo diet, I hate the fact that they all wear knee high socks that always have some stupid fucking saying on them.

THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT THE CROSSFIT MOVEMENT- THE GIRLS!!!! When you get a chance go to youtube and look up this girl. Her name is Camille Le blanc she is fucking amazing! Here is a link to a video of her!

Camille Leblanc-Bazinet - YouTube

I've been doing Crossfit 3-4 times a week for about a year. Whether Crossfit is something you'll like or not is entirely dependent on your goals. I can tell you for certain that a power lifter who is already at the top of his game is NOT going to get stronger from doing Crossfit. High reps at a light to moderate weight, or multiple heavy reps being done while in a fatigued state are not recipes for building strength and mass. They are prescriptions for improving overall conditioning if done correctly and an inevitable injury if done incorrectly.

My goal over the last year has to become more "fit", overall. To attain a higher level of functional fitness and conditioning. Crossfit is perfect for that outcome. I am confident that my 43 y/o self could go back in time and kick the living shit out of myself in my early 20's or at any point since. Crossfit conditions an individual to perform a greater work load over a longer duration of time. Prior to beginning Crossfit my raw squat was 405lbs but I could only do that for one rep. Additionally, I could only do 135lbs for about 20 consecutive reps and couldn't even think about doing that in conjunction with a bunch of other work/lifts. Today, I know I can do a that weight in sets of 20 while doing several other movements for 3-5 rounds for time. Conversely, I can only squat about 335 right now. My strength has gone down partially due to injury (hip bursitis), but even if I were 100% healthy I'm certain I wouldn't be able to top my previous PR of 405. Crossfit, alone, is simply not conducive to building strength if you are already in good condition. If you're a person who has been out of the gym for a few years or who has never worked out then, yes, you will notice strength gains as you get in better condition. Not true for the power lifters, the body builders, the Olympic lifters, and others who are already strong.

I love doing Crossfit for a variety of reasons but it's not for everyone. For me, I love the challenge. Every workout I'm pushing myself to the limit. Every WOD is different than the one the day before. My conditioning has gone through the roof. I've found that I need to run my Crossfit training in cycles in order to completely meet my training needs. Right now I'm trying to do a hybrid of Crossfit and strength training. Crossfit 3x a week (every other day) and Westside Barbell routine 3x a week (alternate every other day). So far this is meeting my needs to maintain my conditioning while still improving my strength gains. It all depends on your goals. For some it is a good fit, for others, not so much.

my friend owns a big crossfit box in nyc sometimes to mix things up ill train there.If you only care about muscle cf is not for u.Its goal is to make endurance athletes better.I personally only care about muscle these days.

It's interesting to see how many people talk about crossfit without knowing anything of it and telling a bunch of bullshit.

crossfit is great for guys who have been in the game for a while and have good proper form on the standard lifts and o lifts. all these newbies get into crossfit having never snatched in their life, and try to snatch 200 pounds. wtf? youtube crossfit fails. i love it, dudes with absoloutely no idea what they are doing, PREGNANT chicks 1 week out from due date doing pull ups and clean and presses. those men and women at the crossfit games know what they are doing and are some of the fittest people on this planet. much respect to them and their way of life. the dumbass crossfitter who thinks 100 kipping pullsups and "snatching" their body weight is impressive, wouldn't last 5 minutes in those games. they'll be at the doctor's office here shortly with a herniated disc.

I havebeen avid about the gym and trying to push heavy weight for years. As of 2 months ago i tried crossfit, let me tell you its humbling. They make fun of us "globo gym" dwellers, as they call it. I make fun of them for being tree hugging hippies. Bottom line is we find an equal medium and the workout is intense, you can be strong but boy it will kill you, it actually has made me stronger. Working different muscles, i still go to the gym 4 times a week and do crossfit 3 times a week. Still on the body building diet, and its working wonders for me. you dont have to follow the paleo crap, also agree that kipping pullups is for pussies.

Back