Pound for Pound - Who's got the best bench?

Mudge said:
Miagi, there are a couple others in the thread besides myself, I think I saw a 275x2 ? Bench was never my strong point, for you to bench what you do at 6'4"(?) is impressive, but your also a LOT bigger than me :)

I should also add I've been training "heavy" since last May, so by the time I did my first cycle I think around late June, that really helped kick things off for me.

brother i wasnt referring to you.....it just seemed that theres a lot of 200lb'ers pushin 405......hell, my quoted max was what i have done at one time (years ago playing ball).......truthfully, i havent maxed out in some time.....i couldnt touch 485 now....405 would probably give me trouble! not calling anybody out, but ive noticed anytime theres a thread on strength (not only this board) evreyone seems to be a shit brickhoue. my skepticism probably comes from me being....well and asshole, and coming from the "show me" state. its almost posting how big your root is.....ill bet if that thread starts, we have no one on this board less than 8 inches......BS if i come off like a prick, well, i am, but dont sweat it....i give respect where respect is deserved and proven (to me) ok, im done rambling.....carry on people

I've never been a great bencher, for me to be into the 3s is a lifetime achievment of sorts. Before I read on "proper" benching technique 255 is about the best I could do, and heavy benching would just kick my back and shoulders ass.

So, still "weak" by some standards but getting there. I have heard of a pec tear at as low as 365 so in some ways I'm starting to worry, I keep the reps fairly slow and may move back to dumbells/dips at some points.

grafix-gnc said:
big benching requires a big back. you use alot of back in your bench

Yep, especially the lower portion. When I started getting more serious, and pushing my back harder, that definately helped my bench.

I am 6'4, 21 and about 235-240 right now, have been cutting since Jan. My best flat bench was 275 for 8, never have tried more as I dn't feel comfortable doing flat bar, I am going to be starting it with chains tonight acctually, I would really like to get through this flat bench plateau of mine. But go figure when I di the 275 for 8 ltr that week i go the guts to try 315 on close grip and got two, my grip was at shoulder width. I have nattually strong tris, I have done dips for 12 reps with an extra 90lbs at a bw of 260 this past Decemeber.

Just wanted to let everyone know the chains went very well, I was impressed, felt very smooth and the overload at the top of the movment made a big difference, I found my forum was acctually better with them.

ive never used chains...but then again, i dont do heavy bench anymore...i amy have to give em a try for shits and giggles

When you guys are talkin bout chains,do you speak of lengths of chain attached at each end of the bar?As the bar travels upward the weight increases until lockout?Westside perhaps?

70w30 said:
When you guys are talkin bout chains,do you speak of lengths of chain attached at each end of the bar?As the bar travels upward the weight increases until lockout?Westside perhaps?

Exactly how it works bro

70w30 said:
Darko where you train at I,m in T.O.I,ve never seen a gym round here with chains.

i am in halifax...if you ever down my way drop me a line and come hit the gmy with me....we wikll go drag out the chains for bench :D

Back