Pound for Pound - Who's got the best bench?

i will also add that there are some outrageous numbers posted in this thread by 20 year old 200lbers. if these are all true where in the hell you guys train at? we got several world class athletes at my gym so i know what it takes to hit big numbers. we dont have any 20 year olds hitting 405 for reps. esp at 200lbs. we got 1 22 year old who has a competetion bench of 606 in the 220s. but this is a shirted bench and he prolly can only hit 455 for a single raw. I seen him hit 405 for 4 but he was messing around. we dont train for raw bench, too much strain on the shoulders and elbows.

wonder if all these 405 benchers are squatting those kinda numbers?

I hope to see 4 plates in about 8/9 days, no fina this time, but I know at my gym (its not Venice Beach) I'm one of the strongest guys there. Then again, if you can throw up 295 there you are somebody :laugh4: I have never broken 1.6x bodyweight, 6'2" 12% something bodyfat.

Last edited:
Mudge said:
I hope to see 4 plates in about 8/9 days, no fina this time, but I know at my gym (its not Venice Beach) I'm one of the strongest guys there. Then again, if you can throw up 295 there you are somebody :laugh4: I have never broken 1.6x bodyweight, 6'2" 12% something bodyfat.

found these pics on mendy hittin 1005. for you guys who think PLers are fat check out the spotters. mendy weighs about 320.

ScottReadiesHimself%2Ejpg

ScottMendelson1005Bench1%2Ejpg

ScottMendelson1005Bench2%2Ejpg

had video of a guy here locally at a small bench meet in Toronto that was using that grip...he had well over 500 on the bar...and guess what 3/4 way on up to lockout...to bar rolled off the palm of his hands....wasn,t pretty.....he was luckyhe didn,t break any ribs ...it was on the news years back

pullinbig said:
we not talking about masterbating dawgy. :eek:

which feds allow reverse grip anyway. i cant think of any cept maybe ipa.
apf does and wpo as far as i know . hell its safer than thumbless .

pullinbig said:
i have treid the sui grip and it makes me very uncomfotable. most feds wont allow it anyway.

I became accustomed to using it somewhere under a year ago, and have been in love with it ever since. When I used to reverse bench I got up to 90% of my regular bench, I dunno about now, what I do know is that unracking it can be a beach. I get about as far under the bar as I can, thankfully I have someone to lift off for me currently and that helps a lot.

OK....lemme clear something up here....

Suicide grip -- thumbless grip
Reverse grip -- just have palms facing head?

gymphreak said:
ah gotcha.....damn thatd be pretty akward IMO...
nah once you get used to it its a piece of cake but you really need a spotter to hand off to you though ,lifting off reverse grip is not easy .

Back